On 1st October 2011, a NEW ENLARGED PLAQUE was unveiled at Queen's Royal Beach Park at Niagara-on-the-Lake.
After the previous plaque became full, the new plaque was designed with a large granite base and with castings to accommodate the details of the additional swimmers and more.
SSO expresses special thanks to the Honorable Mr David Eke, Lord Mayor of the Town of Niagara on The Lake, who presided over the dedication of the new plaque.
Construction and location of the new plaque was facilitated by the NOTL Director of Parks and Recreation, Mr Clive Buist.
John Scott, Colleen Shields and SSO President Greg Taylor worked closely with Riverside Brass and the NOTL authorities to bring the dream of this new plaque into reality.
Many of the past swimmers were in attendance with family and crew members.
As a measure of the challenge of this 28-to-32-mile (45-51 km) course, on average English Channel conquerors have taken 50% longer to complete the Lake Ontario challenge - and a number of Channel Swimmers have failed in their attempts on Lake Ontario.
The original stone monument and plaque at NOTL were erected and unveiled on 29 October 1994 when the attendees included the first two conquerors - Marilyn Bell and John Jaremey. For the dedication of the new plaque, Marilyn was represented by Toronto reporter and historian Mike Filey who covered Marilyn's original crossing in 1954.
SSO Home Page | Contact WebMaster
The First SSO Plaque at NOTL
Created: 3rd September 2011
Last Updated: 29th May 2020